A Statement from the National Steering Committee for the Justice in Jesuit Higher Education Conference
June 3, 2020
A statement from the National Steering Committee on the Commitment to Justice in Jesuit Higher Education
At this moment when we originally planned to convene the 20th Anniversary Conference (now rescheduled to June 2021), we draw inspiration from the call to “the service of faith and the promotion of justice”:
- To listen and learn
- To invite profound reflection
- To acknowledge the history of systematic oppression, especially perpetuated by institutions of higher education
- To commit to addressing racial and economic injustice
- To affirm Black Lives Matter
- To call for an end to violence
- To challenge our Jesuit universities to deeper solidarity
- To uphold that all human beings are our brothers and sisters and are created in the image and likeness of our Creator.
May we find humility, strength and inspiration from our Ignatian community to work for a more just, peaceful and loving world.
In a spirit of hope,
Andria Wisler (Georgetown), Naomi Yavneh Klos (Loyola, NO), Julia Vargas (Rockhurst), Paola Pascual-Ferra (Loyola, MD), Joe Orlando (Seattle University), David Opitz (Loyola, MD), Erika Kirby (Creighton), Susan Harmaan, (Loyola, Chicago), Mike Duffy (University of San Francisco), Joe DeFeo (AJCU)
Email any questions you have to firstname.lastname@example.org.